Saturday, November 19, 2011

Weekend Links

. Saturday, November 19, 2011

-- A long, excellent interview with Patrick Thaddeus Jackson at Theory Talks (a generally excellent site; it's easy to lose hours in there), concerning IR and the philosophy of science. I haven't yet had the chance to read PTJ's newest book, but it's in the pile and I look forward to it.

-- The Economist enlists Larry Summers and Donald Kohn in a role-play, asking them to deal with the imminent collapse of a major bank using the new tools provided by Dodd-Frank.

-- Matthias Matthijs and Mark Blyth read Kindleberger in Berlin. I hope to have more to say about this later.

-- Is it surprising that the US's financial troubles had a larger effect on Europe than Europe's financial troubles have had on the US? Not to me, as regular readers would expect.

-- Weber, "Science as a Vocation". I find it somewhat odd that "Politics as a Vocation" ends up on many social science syllabi while "Science" does not, given that social scientists want to be scientists not politicians. Or maybe my experience has been unique.

-- "The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674". One of my favorite historical documents, brought to memory by this article on rising global coffee pries.

-- The Piedmont (which includes my town) has a local currency, in operation since 2002. I've never seen it used.    

0 comments:

Weekend Links
 

PageRank

SiteMeter

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites