Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Digging the Hole Deeper

. Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Nothing like complaining against allegations of anti-Semitism by blaming it on a Jewish conspiracy. Oh, and then asking the reporter to whom you made the accusation to "forget the Jewish thing". Stay classy, Julian Assange.

UPDATE: Henry Farrell points out in comments that the source for this is Ian Hislop, editor of Private Eye. Hislop isn't exactly known as an exemplar of fairness and objectivity, so perhaps take the allegation with a grain or twelve of salt. Hislop has been sued for libel and lost many times; Wikipedia says the most in English history. Of course at this point Assange has credibility issues of his own. So caveat emptor, no matter which side you choose to believe.

2 comments:

Henry Farrell said...

I wouldn't be calling Ian Hislop a "reporter" for values of that term which include fairness, reliability etc. Nor would I be trusting his account of a conversation without substantial supporting evidence. Not that I would be surprised if Assange did have all sorts of unpleasant views, but I am rather surprised to see the NYT go with such a thinly sourced story.

Kindred Winecoff said...

True. I'm not super-up on my British journos, but hasn't he been sued more than anyone else, and also never won a case?

I expect there's a tape of the conversation somewhere, and if so the truth will eventually be revealed. And at this point I'm not sure if there is a person less credible than Assange.

But perhaps you're right that a qualifier is in order. I'll add a note to the post.

Digging the Hole Deeper
 

PageRank

SiteMeter

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites