40 days ago this woman was shot by government-backed militiamen while standing on a Tehran street. The shooting was captured on video, and the woman became the symbol of a movement.
The protests continue. You can (still) follow developments through The Lede, Tehran Bureau, and Sullivan, and niacINsight. Nico has been silent for a few days, but I assume he'll reemerge at some point.
The most interesting recent development is the growing rift between Ahmadinejad and Khamenei. Mahmoud's support from the religious right is slipping, although his support among the Revolutionary Guard and Basij still appears to be strong.
This isn't over yet.
- ► 2013 (95)
- ► 2012 (129)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (478)
- This Is How I Feel About Comprehensive Exams
- Was I Wrong to Be Worried About Deflation?
- Obama's Realism
- When Walloons and Flemings Collide
- Neda Agha-Soltan
- If the Chinese Pop a Bubble, Does It Make a Sound?...
- More on Pirates!
- Religiosity and College Majors
- Blowing Bubbles
- Kenneth Arrow on Macroeconomics, Health Care, and ...
- Sentences I Liked
- Miss Teen South Carolina on Economics
- What I've been reading (July Edition)
- Show Some Love, Harvard Law School!
- Weekend Links
- What the U.S., China, Russia, and Turkmenistan Hav...
- More Evidence on the Effectiveness of Microfinance...
- Is China Really Pulling Away from American Debt?
- American Diplomacy and Public Opinion
- Obama's New International Poll Numbers
- The Fed's Balance Sheet
- US Treasury Cashes in
- What, Me Worry?
- Morning Links
- Politics =/= Magic
- Perception and Misperception in Trade Politics
- Who Gets E.U. Farm Subsidies (redux)?
- Quote of the Day
- Political Science and Economics Professors
- Video Time!
- How Soccer Illustrates Globalization
- It's Earnings Season!
- Thomas Schelling on Climate Change
- The State of Banking
- IR Theory and Rap Music
- FDI, Regulation, and Shifting Power Centers: China...
- How Not to Conduct Diplomacy
- The Pope on Development
- Some Things Get Better, Some Things Get Worse
- Obama's Summer Vacation
- Link Dump
- No G-8 Climate Change Deal
- The Data Do NOT Show the Paradox of Thrift
- Iran Organizational Chart
- Art Imitates Social Science
- Basel's Revenge
- The U.S. Plays Chicken with the BRICs
- We Hold These Truths to Be Self-Evident
- Straight Outta Lagos
- More Musings on Climate Change
- How to Destroy An Economy, in Five Easy Steps
- ▼ July (53)
- ► 2008 (134)
- ► 2007 (142)
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Posted by Kindred Winecoff at 9:31 AM . Thursday, July 30, 2009